About me...

I recently moved to Stafford, VA. I've lived in many places around the country, several with big food scenes.

Am I a foodie? Not quite. I don't have a very refined palette. I don't really eat at that many fancy places. I just like what I like.

Join me as I figure out what I like to eat around here!

Most people follow me on Facebook.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Aburi Gardens

It has been a while since I've written anything, but last night I had a great experience that I just had to write about. 

For several days, we had been finishing up a big pan of lasagna that I had made, and I couldn't eat another bite of it! I wanted to try something new... something different! Something... not lasagna!

My husband and I decided to head up to Aburi Gardens in Woodbridge which serves traditional Ghanaian food. Neither of us had tried that kind of food before and we definitely stuck out like a sore thumb. Instead of making us feel awkward, we were instantly welcomed. 

It is a comfortable, casual, and clean family owned place. There were nice big TVs on either side of the place which were both tuned to football, which was great. 

I think you are supposed to go to the register and order, but someone came to our table to help us. He told us that he could tell we weren't familiar with the food and he offered us some suggestions. He suggested a goat curry and a fish curry. Both came with spicy rice and plantains. The fish could be mixed with either black eyed peas or spinach. We went with the black eyed peas but in retrospect, I think the spinach would have been better. 

Still, the food was excellent. My daughter, who is now a toddler just under the age of 2, couldn't get enough of the spicy rice. She would eat a bunch of it and then drink lots of water. We finally had to cut her off from the rice so that it didn't get too much for her... but she would have kept eating if it were up to her!

The fish was delicious, but we had to eat it carefully because it still had the bones in it. I often feel like I prefer fish that way, though. The bones seem to keep the meat tender. I wasn't a big fan of the black eyed peas, though. I thought they were too starchy. I think this dish would have been perfect with the spinach choice. 

The goat was a little fatty, but sooo delicious. Some times you need a little fat to make things taste even better ;)

The vibe in the restaurant was so much fun. People were sitting in booths, chatting about their day. Others were just hanging out and watching the game. At half time, they showed the monkey that rides on the dog. A man a couple tables away laughed, turned to me, and remarked how there must be more videos of them on youtube. (There are... I've seen them there, lol) It felt really homey and nice to be there. 

The portions were large and not that expensive. We ordered two dishes and took half of the food home. The dishes were $12-$13. 

All in all, if you are feeling a little adventurous, I would definitely recommend trying Aburi Gardens. We had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment